Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Time To Dream Again

“Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.” (Jesus, in Luke 12:32)

“And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.” (Ephesians 3:17b-21)

“Whenever I’m upside down, if ever I’m turned around, I will pray. And when I wake up smiling, the world’s a different place; only when I choose, only when I use my eyes to see Your beautiful face…Help me to let go of all these distractions, leave them far behind, and dream again.” (Phil Keaggy)

For many of us, so far this has been a summer of loss and sadness. From tragedies involving children, to neighbors and loved ones succumbing to disease before what we would consider “their time,” our hearts have been heavy. In the midst of our necessary grieving and letting go, I believe the voice of the Lord would speak to us, gently but clearly, with a message of fresh hope: This is not the end, child. Continue to trust in Me. Feel the warmth of My embrace. Fix your gaze on My goodness. Remember My faithfulness. All is well, and will be well. Lift your eyes to dream again—to envision the “good plans” that I have for you in the coming season as you walk with Me. I will be with you always.

“Disturb us, Lord, when we are too well pleased with ourselves, when our dreams have come true because we have dreamed too little, when we arrive safely because we have sailed too close to shore. Disturb us, Lord, to dare more boldly to venture on wider seas where storms will show Your mastery; where losing sight of land we shall find stars. We ask You to push back the horizons of our hopes; we ask You to [lead us into] a future of strength, courage, hope, and love.” (Sir Francis Drake, 16th-century English sailor; courtesy Dan Miller)

No comments: