Friday, September 26, 2008

God's Compassion -- And Ours

“Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountains! For the LORD comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.” (Isaiah 49:13)

“But I pray to you, O LORD, in the time of your favor; in your great love, O God, answer me with your sure salvation... Answer me, O LORD, out of the goodness of your love; in your great mercy turn to me. Do not hide your face from your servant; answer me quickly, for I am in trouble. Come near and rescue me; redeem me because of my foes.” (Psalm 69:13,16-18)

“Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)

O Lord, we rejoice in your love and forgiveness! You are faithful to comfort us, to lavish us with heavenly compassion. Father, you have answered us in our distress and come to us in our time of trouble. We thank you, not only with words, but with resolve to extend your compassion and forgiveness to others today. Lead us, we pray, as we carry Christ’s compassion to the desperate, the fearful, the hope-deprived. Amen.

No comments: