Monday, October 15, 2007

Beyond 'Nominal' Faith

“But he who practices truth [who does what is right] comes out into the Light; so that his works may be plainly shown to be what they are — wrought with God [divinely prompted, done with God’s help, in dependence upon Him].” (John 3:21, Amplified Bible)

“My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20, New Living Translation)

“For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better.” (Philippians 1:21, New Living Translation)

“If I know my own heart today, I would rather die than live as I once did, a mere nominal Christian, and not used by God in building up His kingdom. It seems a poor empty life to live for the sake of self. Let us seek to be useful. Let us seek to be vessels meet for the Master’s use, that God, the Holy Spirit, may shine fully through us.” (Dwight L. Moody)

Yes, Heavenly Father, that is our prayer: to live, fully alive, with You; to be used as vessels for Your divine purposes; to be set free from self-centered pursuits and pleasures, dedicated instead to the higher call of honoring and glorifying You. Thank You for the love and grace that You pour out on us as we push past nominal faith and seek to follow hard after You as Lord of our lives. Amen.

No comments: