Monday, March 10, 2008

All Is Well

“The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge…my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” (Psalm 18:2)

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” (James 1:17)

“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8)

“I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.” (Paul the apostle, in Philippians 4:12-13)

All is well? Get real. Anxiety is the order of our day. From Wall Street to Main Street, from economics to geopolitics, from the supermarket to the housing market, uncertainty has crept in like a fog. In the midst of these times that might well try our souls[1], the truth expressed in the Scriptures above is as relevant as ever. These words provide us with a timely reminder that in the Lord we have a secure Anchor for every season and storm. I know a wise man named Bob Warren who, if asked how things are going, is likely to reply: “The Lord’s on His throne and all is well.” All is well. Yes, it is. When tumult churns around us, it’s great to remember that the King of King still reigns, unchanged, undaunted. The Lord of Lords remains a Rock. The God of Gods is forever a Fortress, a Deliverer, a Stronghold, a compassionate Savior to all who would seek refuge in Him.

O God, you are our constant Hope; our Rock, Fortress, Deliverer and Shield. Thank you for offering stability in the midst of instability, peace in the midst of uncertainty, and contentment in the midst of every challenge we might face. Amen.

[1] With apologies to Thomas Paine’s Revolutionary War-era quote.

No comments: