Monday, March 3, 2008

Our Portion

“Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, ‘The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.’ The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD.” (Lamentations 3:24)

“And Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, ‘This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” (Luke 22:19)

‘The Lord is my portion.’ Not, the Lord gives me my portion. A step further: He is my portion. Not, Jesus points the way to a good life. A level deeper: He is the life (John 14:6). Not, he was a winsome rabbi who set a good example on earth for us to follow 2,000 years later. One better: He is the living, risen Savior (Matthew 28:6) who remains alive and active today in all who would follow Him and be led by the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:13).

Thank you, loving God, compassionate Father, tender Savior, for today’s reminder that You are faithful…that Your mercies are new each morning…that You are our portion for life…that as we wait on You we will see Your goodness poured out in abundance. Strengthen us to go forth with grateful, hopeful hearts today, we pray. Amen.

No comments: